DRANGAN, CLONEEN & KILLUSTY RECORDS
Information for researching Baptisms and Marriages in Drangan, Cloneen and Killusty
- All records before July 1826 deal with the Catholic Parish of Cloneen and Killusty.
- Records from July 1826 onwards deal with the Catholic Parish of Drangan and Cloneen
- Mullinahone and Drangan were joined before 1826, therefore, Drangan Baptism and Marriage Records before 1826 are in the Mullinahone Record Books.
- In July1826, Drangan was joined with Cloneen. Killusty joined with Fethard. Drangan got part of Killusty Catholic Parish (in Civil Parish of Peppardstown) Part got = all Curraheen townland plus half of Rathkenny townland and a small part of Knockelly townland.
- Killusty Baptism and Marriage Records up to July 1826 are with Cloneen Records and are now stored in the Parish Priest's house in Drangan. No townlands were given in early book records.
- In 1826, Drangan Catholic Parish received all Upper Crohane plus half Lower Crohane townlands plus part of Shangarry townland (now often called Wilford), plus nearly all Lismolin townland. All above are at the south side of the road from Lismolin Cross going west to the Two Trees, next to Barrett's Cross then going south to Crohane Church and then to a small bridge at west or Killenaule side of Glasheen's Cross. That road is the dividing line between Drangan and Ballingarry Catholic Parishes.
- Before July 1826, the Baptism and Marriage Records for the above townlands and part townlands should be in the Ballingarry Record Books and I have seen names from Crohane, Graiguenageha and Moyne in the Killenaule Record Book.
- On 10th November 1840, Drangan Catholic Parish received from Moyglass Catholic Parish, part of the Civil Parish of St. Johnstown, namely: all Lismoynan townland, plus part of St. Johnstown townland now known as Bawntafoora, plus a small part of Kilkennybeg townland. Therefore, Baptism and Marriage Records before 10th November 1840 of the above townlands should be in the Killenaule and Moyglass Record Books.
- To avoid expulsion under Penal Laws, local priests had to register in Nenagh as Parish Priests after an Act of Parliament 1703 which improved the situation for some priests. No other clergy were to be allowed, only the Parish Priest. Some priests went on horseback to Nenagh from this area to register. In 1704, Rev. Geoffrey Sall P.P. Clerihan and Killusty (1704-1713) was registered in Nenagh as P.P. of Coleman, Newchapel and Ballyclerihan (roughly modern Clerihan parish), and as P.P. of Kiltinan, Crompstown, Coolmundry, Peppardstown and Everardsgrange (roughly modern Killusty Parish) with parts of Fethard, Drangan and Cloneen. Killusty was in Kiltinan Parish but the church was in Killusty. This union of Clerihan and Killusty lasted until c.1773. Fr. Luke Shee was the last P.P. and was probably one of the Shee’s of Cloran, Cloneen.
In 1773 Killusty was united with Cloneen until 3rd July 1826, since then it has been united with Fethard. There was a thatched church in Killusty in the 1700’s which was built chiefly at the expense of Mr Redmond Purcell. In Visitation 1847, it was mentioned that Killusty Church was built on Lord Lismore’s land. Killusty’s present church was opened in 1883. It was built by Fr. Thomas H. Kinane P.P. Fethard & Killusty.
- Kiltinan Parish c.1200 is mentioned in the Register of Hospital of St. John the Baptist, Dublin, by E. St. J. Brooks. It states in The Preface that Philip de Worcester gave the church of Kiltinan to Oseney Abbey, Oxfordshire, England, c.1200.
- An article written by Mark Hennessy states that a grant of 60 acres in the Manor of Kiltinan was made by David, son of Philip, to Hospital of St. John the Baptist, Dublin, c.1200. The Hospital of St. John the Baptist was a daughter house of Oseney Abbey.
Kiltinan was also listed in Papal Taxation 1291 and 1302. The church in Kiltinan was in ruins in 1615.
- Kiltinan Civil Parish Townslands: Ballynaclera, Boolagh, Cappadrummin, Clarebeg, Claremore, Grangebeg, Killavally, Killusty North, Killusty South, Kiltinan, Loughcapple, Moanbarron, Rathkenty, Tullow and Walshbog.
Information supplied by Michael Hall, Kyle. (5th August 2000)